Saturday, March 26, 2016

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Movie Review (Spoiler-free)



I was gonna be funny and instead of posting a review of BvS I was gonna post extracts from my Age of Ultron review from last year. But I won't because I'm too lazy and someone would probably complain. I digress.


The movie has the same flaws as both Avengers movies, Iron Man 2, Man of Steel, and pretty much every movie from the past five years or so, that has tried to set up future films. It's obvious, it detracts from the actual plot. The action is shot a bit too close up for my liking and it's a bit too dark to see what happens at times. Oh well. Other than that? I quite enjoyed it. The characters were good, there was a halfway decent villain plot worthy of a four color comic book bad guy... oh wait... and all it all a lot of what is missing is probably in the extended cut I kinda wanna see now. I liked the characters and the acting, I think Cavil has made the role his own, Gadot was surprisingly good for someone I had previously only dredded to see from the magnum opus that is Fast and Furious 24 1/2, and Affleck nailed it as Batman and Bruce Wayne alike. 

I see some of the criticism from other reviews, like how the intro goes on for a bit too long, but then again the scenes are all important later on, so I probably would have shuffled them around a bit or shortened the scene with the cops that's also in the trailer. Others I don't get, like I said the film was coherent enough for me, though the extra 30 minutes would be nice to see, all the character scenes worked well, and the action scenes where either better paced than in Man of Steel or didn't go on for as long, I'm not sure, I don't take out my watch during a film and actually stop scenes. Yet. 

In the end, this is a setup movie and as good (or bad) a setup movie as all of them. Both Age of Ultron and Iron Man 2, the two movies I consider closest to this in intent, I rated average or above average and so do I rate this. Though I would rather rewatch BvS before those two. In the end, I don't think it's that different from the other comic book movies out. Not really great, but also not terrible, some great scenes, some cheesy scenes, one laughably stupid scene, way too much setup for other films that hurt the pacing of the actual movie. Been there, done that. Not necessary to get one's panties/boxers/briefs/going commando in a twist over.


No comments:

Post a Comment